- We had the no vacancy sign out this week as my sister-in-law and her kids visited us for a few days. She has twins - a boy and a girl - who are 16-months-old so there was a lot of activity going on at Casa de Shifley. At one point, we had 6 kids under the age of 5 over here having a good old time. And for some reason the adults were consuming more alcohol than usual at night.
- Speaking of alcohol, I'm still on my beer sabbatical. My tongue is looking better and I haven't died yet from missing my beer so that's good news.
- I have tried several different hard alcohols. First bourbon, then vodka, and then rum. I wasn't a big fan of the bourbon, the vodka was fine but the one I picked was distilled from barley and since I'm allergic to it my tongue got a little inflamed and sore a few days later. I guess I have to do a better job of reading those labels.
- So the winner was rum. I'm liking the white or silver rum. I add some ice, a lime slice, carbonated water and it's not too shabby.
- I can't believe March is here and we will be celebrating Mrs. Shife's birthday shortly and then Kyle will be having a birthday too as he's turning 5. Crazy how fast time flies.
- I had to go to his soon-to-be new school today and pick up his kindergarten registration packet. I really can't believe he'll be going to kindergarten next year. Did I mention it's crazy how fast time flies?
- You may or may not remember that I mentioned I wanted to do a 1,000 miles in 2014. Well I'm still doing it. I only have 818 more to go.
- I've been working at my new job for three weeks now and it's going really well. I like it a lot and enjoy the people I work with. One result of having to work at an office with other people is that I've never been cleaner. As a stay-at-home dad there were times when I would go European. I didn't make it to the shower as often as I would have liked. But now I have to scrub-a-dub-dub every day so I don't offend my new co-workers.
That is all. Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful weekend.
Kyle and Hayden enjoying some time at their bounce house.
I will persevere. I will keep moving forward. I will be the stream.
The ratio of kids to adults this week almost makes for a mutiny. I'm glad you found a reasonable substitute to get through it.ReplyDelete
I'm glad you're enjoying your new job, big transitions for all of you. I wish I could go back to the Kindergarten days.ReplyDelete
I used to drink rum because it was said to be good for you, hope you find that to be true, Matt. So pleased to hear you're enjoying the new job and broadening your horizons. Have a great weekend.ReplyDelete
Good Lord! I would be drinking rum AND vodka if I had all those kids around. Wait a minute- last night I DID drink rum AND vodka. Not together.ReplyDelete
And my grandkids had been at the house for approximately 14 hours.
Glad you're liking the new job, Mr. Shife. Keep persevering.
I swear to you- I saw a guy in whole foods the other day who could have been your brother. I kept wondering if you were in Florida.
Hi Jon. I think there were a few "walk the plank" moments but it was good that all of the cousins got to spend some quality time together.ReplyDelete
Thank you kden. So far so good.ReplyDelete
Thanks Val. Even better if the rum is good for me. =) Hope you have a great weekend too.ReplyDelete
Well Ms. Moon I did spend some time in Florida when I was in the Navy a long, long time ago but I didn't donate any of my DNA to anyone when I was there. I have been told on more than one occasion by folks that they know someone that looks like me. Maybe my biological dad got around a lot more than I knew about.ReplyDelete
have you given gin a try? i always enjoyed a touch of gin in my tea.ReplyDelete
I'm having a Bourbon right now. I recommend the Bullet. Pretty tasty and affordable. I get the ice trays that make the jumbo square ice cubes, so I plop one of those in there and feel like a boss. Drinking at home is so nice. I can enjoy just one or two and get things done. When I drink in public I feel a need to suck down like 20 beers. Why is that? Nerves? Oral fixation? Who knows. A bourbon at home, some Black Sabbath, and getting some actual good writing done, and I'm way happier.ReplyDelete
Glad the new job is working out!
Until just the other day I thought all Vodka was made from potatoes, then I saw an episode of "How it's made" now I know better. I'm glad the rum worked out for you, it makes me "Rum Dumb".ReplyDelete
As in "It's dark out here, are there three steps or four, must be three...
(Sound of me hitting the concrete)
oh, must have been four."
Glad to hear the new job is going well and good luck on the miles :)ReplyDelete
No gin yet, BP, but I'm willing to learn.ReplyDelete
I will have to check it out, Dr. Ken. I am little more responsible when I'm at home as well. I guess the peer pressure gets to me. I'm not sure but I don't go out anymore anyways.ReplyDelete
I'm sure I will be rum dumb one of these days, texlahoma. Thanks for the warning.ReplyDelete
Thanks Phats and nice to see you stop by the blog.ReplyDelete