Thursday, January 27, 2011
How's that for a title? I had some lighter material planned for the blog today but after the phone call I received last night I will postpone that for another day. I did not want to bring sadness to my blog but this is my forum and I got to release it somewhere.
A friend of mine killed himself yesterday. Wow. I got goose bumps typing those words. I know he was depressed and I guess he felt the only way to stop hurting was to stop breathing. It is just really sad especially because he left behind family, friends, and two young daughters that loved him very much. I hope he found the peace he was looking for and there isn't really too much else to say.
Take care my friends, and RIP Tyson.
Thursday, January 20, 2011
- Do you have a sabotage gene? I think if you were raised Catholic then you most definitely have it. Anyway do you feel guilty if you think things are going to good or expect something bad to happen because life is going your way? I most certainly have one. I very cautious about saying something like "Life is good" or "My life is awesome" because I fully expect the universe to send me a little reminder about why I should not be bragging.
- I wish if I had wonderful moments I could just enjoy them instead of questioning why I deserve them. Yes, I do see a therapist.
- I have watched "Californication" a few times but never went out of my way to watch it. It was on the other day as background noise when I was playing on the computer when I was stopped by a line in the show: "Noble in thought, weak in action." If words ever summed me up best that would be it. I always, always have good intentions and want to do good deeds like volunteer or raise money for a cause but never have the inner drive or motivation to follow through. One day I will actually put one foot in front of the other and walk through the action door.
- Jeff Bridges really is The Dude. I decided to class up my TV and taped a show on PBS called "American Masters" because it was profiling the dude who gave us The Dude. I don't think Jeff Bridges had to do a lot to transform himself into that role. He was made to play The Dude.
- Bored. Google ta-ta tamers. It will go great with your Tuggie.
- I have decided to ignore politics since politicians have been ignoring me.
- I am not a big fan of New Year's resolutions so I don't do them but I did start two new things around the start of 2011. Well not exactly new but I decided I need to do them again, meditation and flossing. Doing a lot better on the flossing than the napping, errrr, meditation.
- Stay golden, Ponyboy
- A friend of ours took this picture of Tank, and I just love how intense and focused he looks. I assure you I have not replaced his dog food with crack, but he might be trying to chase down a cat because it gave him a wiener mustache.
Thursday, January 13, 2011
- So far so good with the little man. Mrs. Shife had to go to a business conference this week so me and Mania have been on our own for 2 nights now. I haven't been forced to drink myself silly and he hasn't tried to call child protective services but he does have them on speed dial.
- No matter how you feel about our current President he did deliver a very moving speech yesterday in Tucson. I know every President is raked over the coals and their actions are thoroughly dissected especially in this day of the 24-hour news cycle, but deep down I firmly believe if Obama was white he would not have to defend himself so much. I don't agree with everything he does but I feel a lot of people can't get past the fact that a black man is in the White House. I know it is 2011 but I hate to tell you this but racism is still America's dirty little secret and it is out there. It reminds me of "A Time to Kill" when the lawyer tells the jury to close their eyes and listen to a story. After describing in slow and painful detail a horrible event, he then asks the jury, in his final comment, to "now imagine she's white."
- Here is a pick-up line for all of you single fellas. If you use it I think you are guaranteed to have sex with your hand. Just tell the ladies she won a full-ride scholarship to orgasm college.
- I had a surreal moment with Kyle last weekend. We rented a cabin and spent some time with Mrs. Shife's family so baby boy was sleeping in his pack-n-play all weekend. Well it was nap time so I put him down in his road bed, and went into the adjacent room until he fell asleep. A few minutes later Lil' Shife came strolling out of the room all by himself. He can now climb out of his pack-n-play and it definitely freaked me out because I am not ready for that quite yet.
- I posted this on Facebook. The little man is going to town on pickles. Pretty much polished off a jar in 2 days. I can rule out that he is a pregnant woman with cravings, but does anybody have an idea why the little dude is a pickle addict?
- So how are you doing?
Thursday, January 06, 2011
Well I know it was only one day in 2011 but the events of that one day are still lingering. I don't want to get into too many details but basically I have someone I am related to that has decided to do something to another family member that is pretty appalling. I know how devastated this one family member is right now and there is nothing I can do except listen to them as they try to deal with the pain. So the person causing this suffering is out of my life. I had to do it for my own mental well being. They have done stuff to me, my wife, and my son in the past, and if I maintained a relationship with them, they would continue to do hurtful things. Honestly I amazed we have the same blood running through our veins. A friend of mine put this on Facebook and then I reposted it that sums up what I needed to do best: There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right. Forget about the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy.
I am just grateful that I have an outlet like this blog. I have met so many people through it, and actually developed quite a bond with a few of them. It might only be an electronic relationship but they are so good to me and I know I can count on them. I was reminded of that today when a wonderful gentleman that some of you know as "Just Bob" sent my darling boy a nice little gift. It wasn't necessary or requested, but he is a good guy and that is what good people do sometimes. Thank you Bob, and thank you everyone else for coming back here every now and then. It is the reminder that I need to focus on the good, and say adios to the drama.
I hope you had a good holiday season, and your new year is going well. Take care, and below is a picture of the most important little man in my life.